We are indeed fortunate that Allah Almighty has sent us among the followers of the Holy Prophet (PBUH). The best way of being thankful to Him is by remembering Him through offering Salat, paying Zakat, observing Fasting, and performing Hajj (if it could be afforded). Besides these obligatory acts, establishing and enhancing the love of Holy Prophet (PBUH) in our hearts and in the hearts of our families is also a great way to thank Allah as told to us by Allah and His Prophet (PBUH) himself. One of the best ways to establish the relation of love and affection with the Holy Prophet (PBUH) is to send greetings (Durood and Salam) upon the Holy Prophet (PBUH). The Holy Quran says in Sura Al-Ahzab:
“Surely Allah and (all) His angels invoke blessings and greetings on the Holy Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him). O Believers! You (also) send blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation of peace abundantly (and fervently) (33:56).”
So, let us spare a few minutes from our busy and rushed life and hold gatherings in which we all send greetings upon our beloved Prophet (PBUH).
Etiquette of Attending the Gathering of Durood Sharif:
- Make a proper ablution or Ghusl before attending the gathering.
- Use perfume or scent (Itr)
- Wear a proper and clean dress.
- Imagine the Green Dome or the Holy Prophet (PBUH) when you are sending greetings upon the Holy Prophet (PBUH).
- Read the following Durood Sharif or any other one:
Important Considerations for hosting a Halqa-e-Durood:
- Invite the guests kindheartedly and warmly, preferably be sending a formal invitation.
- Gathering could be held anywhere but this needs to be ensured that place is clean and spacious. Also try to arrange rosaries (tasbeehat) for the participants.
- Certain things like membership/sponsorship forms, CD registration forms and free copies of CDs should be made available for distribution. Also try to exhibit books of Shaykh-ul-Islam, as many as possible, and invite attendees to buy and read those books. In case someone is interested in buying any book, assist him/her in the ordering process by completing the ordering form. People can also be made aware, if needed, that the income from the sale of Shaykh-ul-Islam’s books and CDs has been dedicated for the propagation of Deen by Shaykh himself and no person, including himself, takes even a single penny out of the profit.
- Encourage adults and children to start taking classes with the eLearning Quran program that has been run by Lahore Markaz. The purpose of the program is to teach reading, recitation and understanding of Quran in a correct way. There are various other courses also available like learning Urdu for the children who are being brought up in the West. Here is the website link of eLearning program: www.elearning.minhaj.org. The host should also know that how the program works and should help people answer their questions.
- It is preferable that the people in the community take turns in holding this gathering weekly.
- Duration of Entire Gathering should be around 2 hours
- The program should start out with recitation of any Sura of the Irfan-ul-Quran with translation. It is best for the children and teens to participate in this portion.
- Recitation of naats and nasheeds by teens and adults can also be done.
- The people should then begin to recite the Durood Sharif on tasbeehs/rosaries, beads. It is recommended that the count of Durood Sharif read in the gathering be submitted to the website: http://www.gosha-e-durood.com. The aim of sending Durood is to be part of collectively sending blessings to the Holy Prophet (PBUH). You would need to create your free account at above website before you can submit the count.
- A brief speech/Dars from the Quran and Hadith on different topics, including significance on Durood Sharif should be made. This is best achieved either by a recorded speech of Shaykh-ul-Islam or from a scholar from the Scholar Online program (live from Pakistan). Please contact us here to set up a scholar online program in your gathering: 972-360-8510.
- Start the program on time and do not delay the schedule due to the late arrival of people.
- Try not to extend the program beyond the allotted time.
- The gathering should preferably be on a weekend and should include families.
- If meals are being arranged, that should be on one-dish/potluck basis (this is being described below) or otherwise, the gathering could be held at some time after normal meal time and tea and light snacks could be served.
- Take feedback from the attendees after the programs, individually as well as collectively, to assess the effectiveness and incorporating their suggestions.
One Dish Guidelines
- A One Dish gathering is preferable to reduce the load on the host and to encourage frequent participation.
- Families attending the first time are not expected to bring any food items.
- Please limit the food items with simplicity in mind. The purpose of the gathering is not to have a food party.
- Please confirm the attendance of the guests who are bringing the food to avoid any problems a week before.
- The person bringing food is not expected to provide the food for all attendees. Main dishes are shared with other people to cover the attendees.